Let's talk risky play!
Join Rusty Keeler on a four-week journey to the heart of risky play.
What is Your Yes?
- Time: Noon-1pm EST Wednesdays
- Dates: April 19, 26, May 3, 10, 2023
With humor, insight, and images, Keeler will guide us back to our childhood play memories, discuss why play and risk are vital to a child’s healthy development, and show examples from around the world of programs that weight the risks and benefits of risky play and say “yes” to loose parts, tree climbing, digging in the mud, rough and tumble play and more.
This is a group participation class! Together we’ll take deep breathes, reflect on our yes/no/maybes for children’s play, and dive into group discussions to get to the heart of the matter. Participants are encouraged to share stories of challenges, fears, successes, and strategies as we work together to understand ourselves and our commitment to supporting play.
In the spirit of play let’s grow and learn together!
- You’ll learn the benefits of Risky Play.
- You’ll learn the important difference between a risk and a hazard.
- You’ll learn how to do a Risk-Benefit Analysis of risky play activities to help you make decisions about risky play.
- You’ll learn to be more comfortable feeling uncomfortable around risky play!
- You’ll learn how to communicate your values and practices around play and risky play to parents and “powers that be”.
- You’ll see examples from around the world of people like you taking deep breaths and supporting all kinds of risky play!